PMAC (Portsmouth Music & Arts Center)
PMAC offers one-on-one lessons as well as group classes for students in grades K-12. Several classes starting in March.
MECA (Maine College of Art)
Meca offers a a “Summer Art Academy” for students ages 9-12.
MassArt (Massachusetts College of Art and Design)
MassArt offers Saturday Studios classes as well as classes during school vacations for students in grades 4-12.
MFA (The Museum of Fine Art)
“The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, offers studio art classes and workshops for families, children, teens, and adults, taught by experienced educators who are also professional artists. Students are invited to question, explore, experiment, and solve problems as they create and interact with art.” -MFA Website
ICA (The Institute of Contemporary Art)
The ICA often has programs offered during school vacations.
Art Openings & Exhibits
First Fridays Portsmouth: Art ‘Round Town
- 3S Artspace 319 Vaughan St., Portsmouth http://www.3sarts.org/
- THE BANKS GALLERY 32 Daniel Street 603.431.9799 www.thebanksgallery.com
- DISCOVER PORTSMOUTH CENTER 10 Middle Street 603.436.8420 www.portsmouthhistory.org/discover_portsmouth_center
- KENNEDY GALLERY & CUSTOM FRAMING 41 Market Street 603.436.7007 www.kennedygalleryandframing.com
- McLAUGHLIN-HILLS GALLERY 110 State Street 603.319.8306 www.mclaughlin-hillsgallery.com
- NAHCOTTA 110 Congress Street 603.433.1705 www.nahcotta.com
- PISCATAQUA FINE ARTS 123 Market Street 603.436.7278 www.dongorvettgallery.com/
- NEW HAMPSHIRE ART ASSOCIATION / ROBERT LINCOLN LEVY GALLERY 136 State Street 603.431.4230 www.nhartassociation.org
- PORTSMOUTH ATHENÆUM / RANDALL GALLERY 6-8 Market Square 603.431.2538 www.portsmouthathenaeum.org
- JAY SCHADLER STUDIO 82 Fleet Street 603.501.0416 www.jayschadler.com
Many galleries and art studios have art openings and open studios on the first Friday of every month.
SoWa is the industrial section south of Washington Street in the South End of Boston.
The SoWa Market is open every Sunday, May through October, 10am-4pm 460 Harrison Ave, Boston MA
Youth 6 and under are FREE! Youth 7-17 are FREE weekdays after 3 pm, weekends, and Boston public school holidays; otherwise $10.
Free Days: Wednesday nights after 4 pm, admission is by voluntary contribution (suggested donation $25)
The Museum is free to all visitors on the following Open House days: Monday, January 21, 2013 (Martin Luther King Jr. Day); Monday, May 27, 2013 (Memorial Day); and Monday, October 14, 2013 (Fall Open House)
Contemporary exhibits may not always be appropriate for elementary artists. Check the website before planning your trip.
Free Days: Youth 17 and under always FREE.
Every Thursday from 5 to 9 pm during ICA Free Thursday Nights.
FREE for families (up to 2 adults accompanied by children 12 + under) on the last Saturday of each month (except December)
Art Colleges and Universities
- Massachusetts College of Art and Design(MassArt), Boston, MA
- Maine College of Art (MECA), Portland, ME
- Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), Providence, RI
Outside of New England
- Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA), Baltimore, MD
- Cleveland Institute of Art (CIA), Cleveland, OH
- Kansas City Art Institute, Kansas City, MO
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Otis College of Art and Design (Otis), Los Angeles, CA
- California College of the Arts, San Francisco, CA
- Tyler School of Art, Philadelphia, PA
- Corcoran College of Art and Design, Washington DC
- Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, New York
Virtual Art Making
Make art by moving your mouse below. ↓
Keith Haring Widget
Henri Matisse Widget
((Left) Hans Hofman (Right) Ms.Norman)