About the Educator
Welcome to my Art Education blog!
My name is Ashley Norman and I’m the Artist Educator at Coastal Ridge Elementary School (CRES), York, ME.
I grew up in Chelmsford, MA and am the oldest of six children.
(Here I am with my brothers, sisters, and adorable niece.)
I love to travel and have had the opportunity to photograph, travel, and explore parts of: Egypt, Italy, Sweden, Canada, and over half of the United States.
Here I am with my lovely partner Dan during one of our adventures.
(Dan and I during our visit to the Redwood Forest of Northern California.)
I have wanted to be an art teacher since I was 13.
(Weilding a camera at age 4.)
In 2007 I received a BFA in Art Education from the Massachusetts College of Art and Design (MassArt), Boston, MA. Before teaching at CRES I spent three years at Lowell High School, Lowell, MA teaching: Drawing, Studio Art, Ceramics, and Darkroom Photography. Along with my experience in public schools, I have also taught in various other settings: private lessons, after-school programs, camps, and courses through the Continuing Education department at MassArt. Currently I am pursuing a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Interdisciplinary Art at MassArt.
- Teacher License, Maine, Visual Art K-12 Feb 2013
- InitialTeacher License, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Visual Art PreK-12 Jan 2007
- Massachusetts College of Art and Design, Boston, MA 2013 – Present, MFA Candidate in Interdisciplinary Contemporary Art
- Massachusetts College of Art and Design, Boston, MA Fall 2003 – Spring 2007 BFA in Art Education
- Fitchburg State College,Lowell, MA Fall 2007-Spring 2009 Graduate courses through the Lowell Teacher Academy.
- Lesley University, Cambridge, MA Fall 2008 Nonprofit Leadership Series Workshop
- Yoga Teacher Certification, Asheville Yoga Center, Asheville, NC May 2012 200 Hour & Prenatal certifications, as well as a specialization in Childrenʼs Yoga and Meditation.
- Coastal Ridge Elementary School, York, ME, Art Educator Sep 2012 – Present Developed and implemented Teaching for Artistic Behavior (TAB) method curriculum in grades 2-4.
- Asheville City Schools, Asheville, NC, Substitute Teacher Dec 2010 – May 2012 Substitute taught Pre K-12 specializing in Art. Long-term substitute in Ceramics at Asheville High School.
- Roots + Wings School of Art, Asheville, NC, Community Art Educator Nov 2011 – May 2012 After-School art enrichment educator in Asheville City Schools and Carolina Day School programs.
- Lowell High School, Lowell, MA, Art Educator Aug 2007 – June 2010 Developed and implemented classes in Darkroom Photography, Ceramics, Drawing, and Studio Art.
- Massachusetts College of Art and Design, Boston, MA, Art Educator Jul 2009 – Aug 2010 Taught the Summer Studios 2D/3D course through the Continuing Education Department.
- Massachusetts College of Art and Design, Boston, MA, Art Educator July 2008 – July 2010 Wrote and implemented the curriculum for this Grade 6-10 Media Exploration course.
- McKinley Preparatory High School, Boston, MA, Student Teacher in Visual Art Jan 2007- May 2007 Focused on students in grades 9-12 who had emotional, behavioral, and other special education needs.
- Lilla G. Frederick Pilot Middle School, Dorchester, MA, Co-Art Educator Sep 2006 – Dec 2006 Co-Developed and implemented the Art Jump Off after-school program.
- Massachusetts College of Art and Design, Boston, MA, Co-Art Educator Jan 2006 – May 2006 Co-Developed and implemented the curriculum for the Saturday Studios course in Advanced Studio.
- Running Brook Day Camp, Waltham, MA, Art Specialist Jun 2005 – Aug 2007 Developed and implemented the Arts & Crafts curriculum for campers ages 4-14.
- Chases Garage Artist Studios and Gallery, York Beach, ME, Studio Artist Apr 2013 – Present
- 3S Artspace, Portsmouth, NH Studio Artist June 2012 – April 2013
- Warehouse Studios, Asheville, NC, Studio Artist Sept 2011 – Feb 2012
- Maine Art Education Association(MAEA) May 2014-Present
- Maine Magazine, 48 Hours In: York + Kittery, Maine Magazine, Work Cited Jan 14
- Portsmouth Herald, Summer Art Fix, Press Article Aug 21.2013
- Lowell Sun, Artistic Stroke of Luck, Press Article Jun 23.2013
- Portsmouth Herald,York Artists Included in 3S Artspace Show, Press Article Dec 12.2012
- Portsmouth Herald,Trading Inspiration, Portsmouth Herald Nov 14.2012
- Canvas Project III Book, Vol.II, Art House Co-Op, Work Featured 2011
- Massachusetts College of Art and Design: Annual Report, Work Featured Jul 2010-Jun 2010
Talks, Visits, Artist Lectures, + Workshops
- Seeing Color: Color Theory Workshop, Chases Garage, York Beach, ME April 2015
- Matters of Choice, Presenter, MAEA Spring Conference, Brewer, ME April 2015
- Lecture on Choice in Art Education, Art Education Department, Southern Maine University Spring 2015
- Artist Lecture & Q+A, Art Education Department, Southern Maine University Fall 2014
- Artist Lecture & Q+A, Art Education Department, Massachusetts College of Art and Design Fall 2014
- Incorporating Yoga and Art into Early Childhood Ed,Milford Community Center, Milford, NH Feb 2013
- National Portfolio Day,Massachusetts College of Art and Design, Portfolio Reviewer Fall 2007
Awards & Recognition
- Peter Masciarotte Memorial Awardpresented by the Art Education Department MassArt 2007: Given by the Art Education Department at Mass College of Art, for dedication to teaching in the Arts.
- Rebello Art Scholarshippresented by the Art Department MassArt 2003 – 2007 Given to Chelmsford High School seniors who are pursuing a BFA.
Skills + Life Experience
Advanced: Drawing, Collage, Sculpture, Installation, Watercolor, Acrylic, Performance Art, Artists Books, and Fibers Proficient: Video, Ceramics, Printmaking, and both Darkroom and Digital Photography
Trained: Small Metals/Jewelry and Glass Blowing
Travel: Traveled and photographed over half of the United States. Traveled to Egypt with the Art History Department at MassArt. Other Travel: Canada, Italy, and Sweden.
Other Skills: Tutoring + Art Lessons, Online Community Development + Management, and Blogging
Professional Art Exhibitions
(*Indicates Solo Exhibit ~Indicates Student+Teacher Exhibit )
- Rochester Museum of Fine Arts Biennial, Rochester, NH 2015
- 26th Annual MassArt Auction, Bakalar & Paine Galleries, MassArt, Boston, MA 2015
- Art PM, Buoy Gallery, Kittery, ME 2015
- Artists in Residence Group Show, Chases Garage Gallery, York Beach, ME 2014
- Wyrd(Presented by the MassArt Graduate Department), Arnheim Gallery, MassArt, Boston, MA 2014
- Graduate Exhibition, Student Life Gallery, MassArt, Boston, MA 2014
- Reap and Sow: The Work of Maine Art Educators, Zand Head & Hall Galleries, MECA, Portland, ME 2014
- Summer Sketchbook Spectacular 2014~, Chases Garage Gallery, York Beach, ME 2014
- Public/Private:Contemporary work of K-12 educators, Arnheim Gallery, MassArt, Boston, MA 2014
- Shoot & Tell, StoneCrop Gallery, Ogunquit, ME 2014 Art PM, Buoy Gallery, Kittery, ME 2014
- Photography*, Caffe Kilim, Portsmouth, NH 2013
- Artists in Residence Group Show, Chases Garage Gallery, York Beach, ME 2013
- Summer Sketchbook Spectacular 2013~, Chases Garage Gallery, York Beach, ME 2013
- Findings*, Side Gallery, Chases Garage Gallery, York Beach, ME 2013
- Art PM, Buoy Gallery, Kittery, ME 2013 Make More, 3S Artspace, Portsmouth, NH 2013
- Flourish: Alumni Works on Paper, Bakalar & Paine Galleries, MassArt, Boston, MA 2011
- Pink, STUDIO 659, Whiting, IN 2011
- The Sketchbook Project, Nationwide Tour, USA 2011
- Canvas Project III, Brooklyn Art Library, Brooklyn, NY 2010 Recent Work*, Brew’d Awakening, Lowell, MA 2009
- Dirty, Smelly, Noisy, Western Ave Studios, Lowell, MA 2008
- Senior Show, Paine Gallery, MassArt, Boston, MA 2007 Various Artists, The Rice Bowl Gallery, Boston, MA 2007
- All Hall Show, Doran Gallery, MassArt, Boston, MA 2006
- All School Show, Arnheim Gallery, MassArt, Boston, MA 2006
- Haystack Show, Student Life Gallery, MassArt, Boston, MA 2006
- Making Connections, Arnheim Gallery, MassArt, Boston, MA 2005
- All School Show, Arnheim Gallery, MassArt, Boston, MA 2005
- All Hall Show, Doran Gallery, MassArt, Boston, MA 2004